Monday, October 10, 2011

So picking up where I left off.....

I will compress for you the last six or so busy busy months:

* I was offered a job in a bookshop, and not just any bookshop but my favourite!  'The Well' is a small independent bookshop about five minutes drive from where I live. It's staffed by people who actually read, know what is out and good, and all of the stock is handpicked ie you won't find any Mills & Boon or other crappy stuff like that. They rang me up one afternoon and offered me a job...just like that! A-fricken-amazing!!! It took me about three seconds to accept, and that, my dears, is a dream I've had since I was about six years old come true! It puts me up to a full time work schedule, and I work Saturdays as part of that, but my days at the school still finish at 3.30pm so I still have afternoons with Miss J etc. Being offered that job is one of the most flattering things that has ever happened to me, and as we pre-read a lot of the new books coming out, now when the Mr comes into the lounge and finds me with a cup of tea and a book, I can honestly tell him I'm working. Ha.

+ Miss J is going gang-busters at high school. She has a lovely group of friends, is coping well with all of the homework and travel, and was even the top year 8 science student for Semester 1.

+ The Mr was in China for a couple of weeks on business - the longest we have been apart in over eighteen years. As a consolation prize for not going to China, I bought Miss J and I tickets to see these guys and girls. We started the evening with dinner in a little restaurant, because tea and toast just doesn't cut it with tickets like these, and then we were transported for the evening. Transported? More like being put into a trance, where you can still feel your chest inside become bigger and warmer and bigger and warmer. We were given streamers to throw at the end of the concert, and the entire Concert Hall was buzzing. I have never heard such exquisite music in my life, and it is a night with my daughter I will never forget.

+ We have been working with the wonderful Miss Max and her sidekick Phil on Miss E's headstone. It has taken us a long time to be able to do this, but I think it is going to be beautiful. I will show pictures soon, but it will hopefully reflect our gorgeous girl, who she was and how we feel about her.  The cross at the grave is looking quite weather worn and tired now, so it will be good to have this special project finished.

+ Miss J finally had braces put on her teeth last Wednesday. This has been a long time coming, and she has been keen to do it whilst all of her friends also have braces. My old high school English teacher did the artwork that hangs behind the reception counter. I bet he got a big discount on his kids' braces', and he wasn't even a good teacher! (He is quite a good artist though. He would spend our English lessons showing us his latest projects and asking for a critique, or else take us into Freo for coffee - as a teenager I thought this was cool, and as an adult, well actually I still think it's pretty cool.)

+ The Mr and I are still trying to get the house organised enough and pretty enough to sell. The market is good for buying, now someone just has to sell a house that a) we want, and b) we can afford.

+ I had my gallbladder taken out last week due to moving stones and several episodes of intense pain. I do not have a dent (thank you for your concern Mr) and neither did the scales go down. I'm a bit peeved about that...I thought that if a whole organ was taken away surely the scales would go down just a little!

+ This morning Miss J went away for an overnight camp with the OT's from PMH, something she has done every year since Miss E died. She has a great time, and the Mr and I love that fantastic, caring,  qualified people who know our journey, her journey, are keeping an eye on her. This is the last year Miss J can go as a camper, as thirteen is the cut-off age.  She may be able to return in a few years though as a counselor, and she is really keen to do this. She has the option of continuing a sibling therapy program with Canteen, but isn't sure yet whether she wants to.

+ Because I am recuperating from surgery and am not allowed to do anything, I have spent the day watching dvd's and knitting a new project. I love starting new projects.


Miss J helped me wind the skein into a ball yesterday, a beautiful hand dyed 100% extra fine merino from Italy (ella rae lace merino in colour 106 for all you aficionados) Turquoise, blues and a hint of grey. Superb. 


And that's the last six months in quick review. Stay well you guys, and may summer never come!
Suzy xx


                              

No comments:

Post a Comment